Sunday, February 11, 2007

Migration and marriage patterns

I'm beginning to think that the Lollar, Patillo and Perkins families really were close since there are several marriages between these three families. My records show:
Robert Biggan Perkins (b 1736) married Elizabeth Lollar (b abt 1740)
Littleton Patillo (b 1750) married Elizabeth Perkins (b abt 1765)
John Lollar (b 1779) married Susannah Patillo (b 1778)
Reuben Perkins (b 1783) married Elizabeth Patillo
Corder Lollar (b 1820) married Mary Caroline Patillo (b 1820)
James F. Patillo married Mary Betsy Lollar (b 1827)

Elizabeth Perkins was Robert Biggan Perkins' daughter; Susannah was Littleton Patillo's daughter; Mary Betsy and Corder were John Lollar's children; Reuben was Robert Biggan Perkins' grandson. The relationships built between these families lasted over 100 years! The mystery about John Lollar may be solved by starting with the Robert Biggan Perkins and Elizabeth Lollar connections.

Many people seem to have records that John Lollar and several of his children were born in Buchanan (town) in Granville, NC. Sometime between 1687 and 1713 the Perkinses moved from Baltimore, MD to Lincoln Co. NC. The earliest Lollar info I could find was Elizabeth born about 1740 in Burke Co., NC and she married Robert Biggan Perkins in 1759 in Lincoln Co, NC. For Patillos, I have John Patillo (Littleton's father) being born in 1722 "of" Lincoln Co, NC. But I still cannot find any connection to Granville Co in any of this data. Lincoln and Burke counties are in the western part of NC. Granville County borders Virginia and is northeast about 180 miles.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am of the direct line of Issac Lollar. Ther has been a good bit of reasearch back to him. If memory serves Issac had a son Jacob who married Elisabeth Gant. they had 3 possibly 4 sons; Hugh Sr, James, William. the 4th name seems to be unknown. This may not be new info so feel free to contact me. mark@amerisouthrecycling.com

Anonymous said...

Issac was in the Revolutionary war

Jared said...

This is interesting...it poses yet another possible connection between families Gant, Perkins and Lollar. My info shows Ute Perkins married Sarah Gant who had a sister Elizabeth Gant. Ute was the son of Robert Biggan Perkins and Elizabeth Lollar. Elizabeth Lollar was the daughter of Isaac Lollar and the brother of Jacob Lollar who was born about 1756. He could be the Jacob Lollar that married Elizabeth Gant. John Lollar was born in 1779 so he could possibly be the unknown 4th child.

However, as it has been pointed out to me by another researcher, one thing that takes away from this theory is that John had a son named Isaac and three grandsons named Isaac. This suggests that John's father could have been an Isaac Lollar. John does not have any children or grandchildren named Jacob. I still think it's worthwhile to look into these connections, though. Thanks for the information!

Anonymous said...

I am a descendant of Obadiah Wright, who you list as Obie Dyer Conatser Wright in your genealogy. Obadiah was born May 9, 1787 in NC and died March 3, 1876 in Putnam County, TN. You also list Joseph Macu Wright, who I have as Joseph McEwan Wright. I am trying to authenticate "Conatser" as Obadiah's middle name and was wondering if you could tell me the source of your information? I love the photograph of John Lollar's home!
Philip Wright
pvwrght@bellsouth.net

Jared said...

I originally got the Obie Dyer Conatser Wright from my parents' records. I asked my Mom tonight about this and she said she would see if she had any other information.

I was thinking it's interesting that you have his first name as Obadiah, which I would think is probably more correct than Obie Dyer. If this was originally just written from verbal records it could have easily been confused, like Macu for McEwen (i.e. someone guessed about how to spell the name that was verbally told to them). Also, in Cookeville Dyer is a common surname so I could see how that would be confused as a middle name.

Unknown said...

I am researching Hugh Lollar, who was born ~1783 in North Carolina, resided in Walker Co. AL and Tuscaloosa Co., AL, and was last enumerated in the 1870 census in the household of William R Lollar in Choctaw MS. Hugh is universally listed as the son of Jacob Lollar (b. ~1750 NC, d. ~1840 Walker Co., AL), but I have not been able to find any sources for this connection. I have not been able to examine Wade's book on the Lollar family. Would you happen to know whether Wade explained the basis for her conclusion that Jacob is Hugh's father? I would greatly appreciate your help, if you can steer me to any records that would help me confirm this relationship.
Many, many thanks for your help!
Kay
khrhome [at] yahoo [dot] com